- What tests do I need to have done?
- When do I need to have them done?
- Where am I having these tests done?
- Have I asked for my discharge summary and list of tests (and results) that were done in hospital?
- What medications do I need to take and why?
- Do I know how to take them?
- Do I need a way to organize my medications so I remember to take them (for example, a dosette or blister pack)?
- Who do I ask if I run out of the medications that were prescribed while I was in the hospital?
- Do I know which pharmacy to go to for prescription refills? Who will pick up my medications and when?
- Do I know what I need to do to help prevent another stroke?
- Do I know the signs of stroke and the action I should take?
- Have I been referred to a Stroke Prevention Program or Clinic?
- Do I know when I should follow up with my family doctor?
- Do I know what textures of food or drink are safe for me?
- Do I know how to prepare these (for example, pureed foods or thickened drinks)?
- Do I know how to arrange for help to look after myself if I need it (for example: help with bathing, dressing, meal preparation or grocery shopping)?
- If I need help at home (for example, from Home and Community Care) when can I expect them to come to my home?
- If my ability to communicate has changed, do I know how to express my needs so I will be understood?
Ability To Think and Understand What I See
- If my thinking and/or vision have changed, do I know how to keep myself safe?
Where I Live
- What equipment or assistive devices do I need at home to be independent and safe?
- Do I need someone to come to my home to do a home safety assessment?
- Has my health care team recommended that I use a mobility aid to help me get around?
- If I need a mobility aid such as a walker or cane, have I made arrangements to get one?
- Do I need help with transportation to attend appointments or run errands?
- Have I been assessed for accessible transit (for example, Wheel-Trans)?
- Do I know how to book a ride?
- What arrangements have been made for more therapy if I need it?
- If I am referred to an outpatient therapy program, do I know where I am going? Do I have contact information?
- What kinds of activities can I do to help with my recovery after stroke?
- Can my caregiver safely manage my care?
- Has my caregiver been linked with a support group if needed?
Work or School
- Am I able to return to work or school at this time?
- If not, do I know how to get back to work or school if I can?
Return to Driving
- Has my stroke been reported to the Ministry of Transportation and my driver’s license suspended?
- If I am not currently safe to drive, do I know the process to be approved for driving again?
Finances and Money
- Can I manage my bills (for example: paying rent or utility bills, buying medications or equipment)?
- Do I need to apply for employment insurance, short term disability or other financial assistance programs? Do I know how to apply?
- This chart can help you keep track of your appointments. You can also use a journal to track this information.