It is important to monitor your health and risk factors to prevent another stroke from happening. If the doctors think that you have had a stroke, you may be referred to a Stroke Prevention Clinic.
What will happen?
At the clinic, the staff will
- Review the type of stroke you had.
- Review your test results, risk factors, medications.
- conduct a neurological exam. Discuss whether more tests are needed.
- Develop a plan for how you can prevent another stroke.
- Discuss the plan to follow up with your family doctor and/or another specialist
To help you keep track of information shared by the staff during your appointment, you can ask them to help you fill out the Patient Summary document.
Who will you work with?
- Nurse Practitioner or Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Other health care professionals depending on your needs (for example, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech-language pathologist, registered dietitian).