Recovery from a stroke is ongoing. The goal of outpatient rehabilitation is to help you to be independent and participate in meaningful activities when you are back living in the community.
What will happen?
- You will attend an outpatient program on average 2-3 times per week.
- You will participate in therapy as much as possible.
- You will learn how to continue to manage your health and well-being.
- You will learn how to find resources in the community to support your interests.
- You may be assessed for your ability to return to driving or return to work when appropriate.
- It is helpful to have a family or friend (if available) to support you.
Who will you work with?
- Physiatrist, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech-language pathologist, registered dietitian, social worker, etc.
How long will you stay?
- Soon after you start therapy, the care team will inform you how long you will attend outpatient rehabilitation.
- The length of time will depend on your rehabilitation needs/goals