Stroke prevention clinics provide early assessment, treatment and education to people who have had a transient ischemic attack (TIA) or stroke, their families and caregivers. The goal is to help you lower your risk of having another stroke. Their team of stroke experts can help you make changes in your lifestyle to reduce the chance of having another stroke. You may want to download and print the Patient Summary pages and bring them to your appointment. The doctor or nurse can help you fill them out.
What will happen?
- Review the type of stroke I had.
- Review my test results, risk factors, medications.
- Undergo a neurological exam. Discuss whether more tests are needed.
- Develop a plan for how I can prevent another stroke.
- Discuss the plan to follow up with my family doctor and/or another specialist
Who will I see
- Nurse Practitioner or Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Other health care professionals depending on my needs (for example, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech-language pathologist, registered dietitian).
For clinics in the Toronto area click here.