Buying safety aids

You can buy or rent this equipment at your local healthcare or medical supply store.

Where do I get safety aids?

You can buy or rent this equipment at your local healthcare or medical supply store.

If you live in the Greater Toronto Area, visit the Toronto Central Healthline website to find a store near you. Or call the Community and Social Services Help Line by dialing 211 on your phone.

Do I need to pay for this equipment?

Yes, but there are some programs that pay part of the cost of equipment and supplies.

Ontario’s Assistive Devices Program (ADP)

May cover up to 75% of the price for people with long-term disability.  If you are part of the Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program the government may pay more of the total price.

To apply for ADP you need to:

  1. Find a physiotherapist or occupational therapist registered with the ADP. Contact Home and Community Care to access an ADP certified therapist
  2. Ask them to check if you are a fit for this program. If you are a fit, they will fill and submit the forms for you then send to the ADP program

Learn more about this program on the ADP website.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

There are tax credits or tax deductions for people with disabilities and their families. You can submit your equipment receipts with your next tax return. Learn more about tax credits on the CRA website.

Private health insurance

If you have a private health insurance plan, you can call to find out if they cover some or all of the costs for equipment.

Can I get funding to help pay for changes to my home?

March of Dimes Canada’s Home & Vehicle Modification Program

This program helps people living in Ontario pay for basic home adjustments. There is a set amount of funding for this program. Learn more about this program on the March of Dimes Canada website.